Typo3 is one of the leading open source content management systems that is available free under the GNU General Public License. It is written using PHP and uses MySQL as the database. It also provides support for other databases such as Oracle, MS SQL and PostgreSQL and is compatible with all major operating systems and browsers such as Unix, Linux, Windows, Mac OSX operating systems and Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox browsers.
Typo3 is used to develop web applications (Typo3 CMS development, Typo3 CMS customization) that are ideally suited to meet the requirements of enterprise websites as well as intranet applications. It has a modular architecture and a wide variety of extensions are available (through the Typo3 repository) that can be easily installed and used with a typo3 application to extend its functionality.
Being an open source product, extensive help and support in the form of online manuals, user guides, developer communities and forums, mailing lists etc are available online for Typo3.
Typo3 can be used in combination with other open source products such as vBulletin, phpBB etc to develop comprehensive and robust web enabled solutions. Open Source Development helps its clients in building and developing Typo3 based applications. We configure and customize the Typo3 applications as per client requirements.
Features of Typo3
Typo3 is a feature rich product that includes the following features:
Typo3 provides in-built WYSISYG editors that are compatible with all major browsers. The editors enable users to easily format and publish content on the website. The editors can be configured/customized as per individual requirements. A variety of features such as Spell Checker, editor skins etc are built into the editors.
Typo3 includes an extension development wizard that enables developers to easily create a basic structure/framework for the application. PHP scripting can be used to customize the structure thus created. Developers can create their own custom extensions using the Extension development tool. They can share the extension with others through the Typo3 Repository.
Typo3 applications are based on templates. The Typo3 template library provides a variety of templates that can be used to develop applications. The developers also have the option to create templates using external applications such as Photoshop, Deramweaver etc and import them into Typo3.
Typo3 provides a configuration language - TypoScript - that can be used to configure and customize the templates that are being used to develop the application. TypoScript cannot perform any processing functions for all processing PHP scripting can be used.
An extensive and detailed admin module is provided with Typo3 that can be used by the Administrators to manage and administer the website.
Administrators can view the Audit trails for all the pages of the website. They also have the option to roll back changes made to any page. Access to the Admin Module can be restricted on the basis of access levels and permissions granted to individual users by the Administrator. Workflows can be set up to ensure that the content is reviewed before being published on the website.
Multiple versions of the site can be run parallely through Typo3 by making use of custom/special templates.
Provides extensive search features (both front-end and back-end) that enables users to search for content based on various parameters. Typo3 also provides a search for content contained with documents.
The Typo3 repository stores all the extensions that are available with Typo3. Developers (Typo3 CMS developers) can download and install the desired extensions from the Repository. Developers can create custom extensions and upload them to the repository where it can be accessed by others.
Apart from the features mentioned above, Typo3 also includes the following features/functionalities:
- Users can preview the content before making it live on the website.
- Administrators have the option to simulate and test new features added to the website without affecting the site that is currently live.
- The website content can be edited/published via the Admin Module or through the front-end.
- Typo3 has a built in provision that enables multiple domains to point to a single Typo3 application.
- A Lock IP address feature enables the Administrator to specify the IP address through which the Admin Module can be accessed. Users can only login and access the Admin Module from the IP address mentioned.
- Typo3 has a built in history option that enables users to undo changes made to the site.
- Provides support for multiple languages.
- Extensive caching features are provided to improve the performance of the website.
- Detailed site analysis reports are available using which Administrators can keep track of the performance of the website.
- Search engine friendly URLs can be generated.
- Extensive Image handling features are available with Typo3 such as auto resizing, cropping, options to add captions, alt text etc.
- All web pages in Typo3 are arranged in a page-tree hierarchy.
The basic features of Typo3 can be extended to provide enhanced functionalities. A wide array of extensions are freely available that can be integrated with the application to provide the advanced functionality. Some of the extensions available are as follows:
- TemplaVoila: An extension that enables developers to use a graphic mapping tool to create custom templates.
- RSS Feeds: An extension that enables the content appearing on the website to be available as RSS Feeds.
- Banner Management: The advertisements appearing on the website can be controlled and managed. Reports detailing impressions, click throughs etc are also provided in the extension thereby enabling the Administrators to track the advertisements.
- Registration Module: The Registration Module extension can be used to enable site registration. It provides a detailed registration form that enables the capturing of user date. The registration form can be customized as per individual requirements.
- Personalization Extensions: Enables front-end users to create their individual customized homepages.
- Community Extensions: Discussion forums, guestbooks, blogs, chat modules etc can be integrated with the website thereby enabling the creation of online user communities. Each community extension includes all the features required to run the specific service.
- Newsletter Extensions: Using the newsletter extensions, newsletter subscription services can be offered to the website users. Administrators can create newsletters and send them to the subscribed users.
- Shopping Cart Extensions: Can be used to integrate a shopping cart with the application. Administrators can create product catalogues and enter product details to populate the online storefront. The front-end users can browse the storefront and place orders online.