Drupal is an open source content management system that can be used to develop a variety of websites from personal or corporate websites to community portals (such as discussion forums and social networking websites) to complex web applications (such as e-commerce and intranet applications). The Drupal CMS enables web editors to easily publish and manage content appearing on the websites.
Drupal is written using the PHP scripting language and is available under the GNU Public License. It supports a wide range of operating systems such as Linux, Solaris, BSD, Windows and Mac OSX etc.
Drupal is based on an extensible and modular architecture i.e. various plug-in modules and components can be easily integrated with it thereby enhancing its basic functionality. Customized modules that provide additional/enhanced features not available with Drupal can be developed and integrated with the solution.
Open Source Development possess the skill set and expertise required to develop Drupal based web applications. Keeping Drupal as a base, we also develop custom modules that can be integrated with Drupal to provide customized solutions to individual clients.
Drupal is a feature rich application that includes a host of built-in features such as:
- Browser Based Interfaces: Drupal provides browser based Admin interfaces that can be used to manage the website as well as publish and organize content appearing on the web pages.
- Themes: A library of template themes is available enabling the layout of the website to be customized as per client preferences.
- Extensions: A wide variety of extensions are available that can be integrated with the basic Drupal setup in order to provide enhanced and advanced functionalities such as discussion forums, blogs, shopping carts, podcasting, photo galleries etc.
- Multiple sites: The default Drupal installation enables multiple sites to be run from a single installation.
- Search Engine Friendly URLs: Drupal enables the generation of search engine friendly URLs.
- Taxonomy: The taxonomy module available in Drupal enables website content to be easily categorized and organized in a tree structure thereby making it easier for users to search for content.
- Discussion Forum: Discussion forum features are in-built in Drupal. The discussion forum module enables users to enter their comments pertaining to any content item appearing on the website and carry on a discussion on the same with other users.
- Versioning: Drupal maintains multiple versions of each content item thereby enabling administrators to track modifications to the content. Versioning also helps in restoring content of a previous version.
- News Aggregator: Drupal provides a built in News Aggregator that can be used to gather news/articles from other sites such as blogs etc.
- Polls: Administrators can choose to display opinion polls on the web pages. They can also specify the configuration parameters for the polls such as users groups that are allowed to vote, provide multiple options as answers to the poll question etc.
- Multi-lingual: Drupal provides support for multiple languages. Multilingual websites can be easily created using Drupal.
- Reporting: The reporting module (in –built with Drupal) provides administrators with detailed reports on site performance, event logs etc.
- User Profile: Drupal enables registered users of a website to create and share their profiles with others.
- Content Linking: Using the content linking features multiple content items/articles can be linked to form an online book. This feature can also be used to create FAQs, manuals etc.
- Page Caching: Caching helps in improving page generation time and reducing the load on the web server.
- Contact Module: Through the contact module available in Drupal users can send messages to each other through the website.
- Directory Sites: Websites developed using Drupal can connect to other directory listing websites.
Drupal offers the following advantages to clients:
- Cost Effective:Drupal is an open source application thus it is a more cost effective solution.
- Support Community: Drupal has a strong online support and developer community. Enhancements and updates are available at regular intervals.
- Customizable: Drupal has a modular architecture. Features/ functionalities can be easily added or removed to develop custom solutions that meet individual requirements.